IMI L3 Award in Electrically Propelled Vehicle Repair & Replacement
This course is specifically designed as a follow on from the previous course (IMI L2 Award in Routine Maintenance Activities on Electrically Propelled Vehicles).
This course is aimed towards a technician that might maintain and repair electrically propelled/hybrid vehicles and contains the knowledge of the dangers surrounding vehicles and the precautions to take to avoid potential injury to themselves and others. In particular it contains the knowledge and skills for a technician to work safely in and around a vehicle's high & low voltage electrical system and electric drive train system whilst carrying out repairs or maintenance that are not related to the high energy electrical system.
This course is aimed at Individuals who already have appropriate vehicle maintenance and repair knowledge and skills at level 3.
On completion, technicians will be able to practically demonstrate their knowledge of electrically propelled/hybrid technology and the repair procedures. They will also be aware of the effect of what electrically propelled/hybrid vehicle technology has on other vehicle systems.
The Learner will:
• Know the key components of an electrically propelled/hybrid vehicle and their operation
• Know the methods used by manufacturers to provide protection from high energy cabling and components
• Know the correct procedure to ensure an electrically propelled/hybrid vehicle is safely prepared prior to being worked on
• Know the correct procedures required prior to removing and/or replacing high energy electrical system components
• Know how to correctly isolate and re-connect live high energy electrical supplies such as batteries, capacitors and motors
• Know the levels of current and voltage that present a hazard and describe the effects of alternating and direct current on humans
• Know any appropriate procedures to correctly reset the vehicle systems after repair such as clearing fault codes and resetting readouts
• Know the appropriate methods to isolate safely the high energy electrical system and carry out a safe method to re-instate the vehicle following
the manufacturer’s instructions
• Know the correct method of connection of an alternative power source (if permissible) to an electrically propelled/hybrid vehicle for the purpose
of jump starting and/or charging the vehicle
• Know correct component replacement procedures
• Be able to work safely on an electrically propelled vehicle
Online Test, Oral Assessments and Practical Assessments
IMI L3 Award in Electrically Propelled Vehicle Repair and Replacement (ID No: 600/0527/0)
This course only provides the knowledge and skills required to work on non-live high energy electrical components and associated systems and should only be undertaken after the successful completion of IMI L2 Award in Routine Maintenance Activities on Electrically Propelled Vehicles.
This unit assumes an already good level of electrical understanding but does not prove that someone is competent to work on the high energy electrical system and does not enable a candidate to dismantle ‘live’ components such as battery packs.
This unit does not cover commercial or domestic electrical installations.
FAST PASS TRAINING
Fast Pass Ltd T/A Fast Pass Training
Richwill Farm, Oakley Road, Wix, Essex, CO11 2SF
Company No: 06406434 VAT Reg No: 208 7167 04
Fast Pass Ltd is an equal opportunities employer